Something Blue Review & Ratings

Something Blue
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy Something Blue? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Something Blue. Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

Something Blue Review

Last year, after meeting author Emily Giffin in my bookstore (where she was buying her first copy of her first book), I read her debut novel SOMETHING BORROWED during a long plane ride. Even though I knew it was better-than-average chick lit. Even though I'm a guy.
Its tale of a nice girl named Rachel - who finds romance while misbehaving with her best friend's fiance in the weeks before his wedding - was very fun. In it, I liked how Rachel came off as sympathetic and interesting, someone you could root for, in spite of the terrible thing she did to her "best" friend, Darcy the bride. In SOMETHING BORROWED, Darcy came off as an entitled, spoiled, superficial, mean girl who always got what she wanted, and watching a villain like that get her comeuppance was part of the book's fun.
Of course, Emily Giffin had a twist in mind for the sequel to SOMETHING BORROWED, and the resulting book is a terrific pageturner that surpasses the first one in pretty much every way.
The heroine of SOMETHING BLUE is the same spoiled, mean, jilted bride Darcy Rhone. And the new book, thankfully, finds her just as mean and spoiled as before. Giffin doesn't make the mistake of "changing" the character's voice from the original book. Darcy's self-centered, delusional, greedy, wicked and ... pregnant with a groomsman's baby at the beginning of SOMETHING BLUE. It's a bad situation that would jar anyone, but her fiance's betrayal with her best friend Rachel is what really throws Darcy for a loop.
As Darcy tries to recapture her fabulous life, she finds that things are more difficult for her. Accustomed to getting any man she wants to fall in love with her, she suddenly has to fend for herself without her friends, with her reputation tarnished and with morning sickness.
At one point, Darcy finds herself robbed of all her usual resources, and, with that, things finally start to turn around for her. But, again, Darcy never changes her voice or changes her methods. If you hated her in SOMETHING BORROWED, you'll still find yourself hating her in this book. But you won't be able to ignore her or turn away.
SOMETHING BORROWED, about basically nice people who find themselves doing bad things, was a fun read. SOMETHING BLUE, about awful, manipulative, lying people who learn that they can't always get things their way, is more of a juicy, guilty pleasure. Darcy's hilariously bitchy, and I found myself laughing out loud, unable to put the book down, especially after Darcy meets her match.
The fact that Giffin was able to establish a layered antagonist in one book - and then dare to tell another whole book from that antagonist's perspective - shows that she's a very smart, very capable and very good writer. I didn't think SOMETHING BLUE could equal the first book. But it topped it.
I bought SOMETHING BLUE on Saturday, and I finished it this afternoon. And I never, ever read things that fast unless they're really, really fun. And the ending, which ties both books up, is terrific and touching.
I only hope to see Emily Giffin again soon so I can tell her how much I loved SOMETHING BLUE.

Something Blue Overview



Want to learn more information about Something Blue?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment