Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens Review & Ratings

Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens. Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens Review

I am glad that Wendy Luttrell wrote this book. I enjoyed 'listening' to the teen girls stories and enjoyed viewing their collages that represented themselves. However, being a black female, I didn't learn anything new about black teenage girls. However, I think it is a GREAT book for people who work in the field of Education and honestly don't understand a) the complex identity process that working class african american girls go through in America (let alone being pregnant) and b) how to be conscious of their own 'whiteness' and Euro-Anglo centric view of 'deviance'. I got the feeling that this book was intended more for white middle class educators who teach or may teach working class african american pregnant teenagers. I am glad that Wendy depicted the pregnant girls in a "positive" light. Wendy clearly states that she doesn't want to stereotype. She explains to the reader that she herself is coming from a white middle class background. That acknowledgement of her 'whiteness' and white privilege are important in understanding who she is as a researcher. I like the fact she explains to the reader how she did her research and her honest directness of telling the audience how she felt while doing her field research and what challenges her own identity created while trying to connect to and understand the 50 individual pregnant girls she interacted with. Overall, it is great to see that she does not construct teenage pregnancy as 'deviant' behavior. The girls in this book are HUMANIZED.

Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens Overview

Focusing on fifty girls enrolled in a model public school program for pregnant teens, Luttrell explores how pregnant girls experience society's view of them and also considers how these girls view themselves and the choices they've made. Also includes an 8-page color insert.

Want to learn more information about Pregnant Bodies, Fertile Minds: Gender, Race, and the Schooling of Pregnant Teens?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment